Friday, March 19, 2010

Gone Fishin'

Spring break was last week and Lyndsay and I decided awhile back that it would be fun to do more out doorsy stuff like hiking, camping, and fishing. We had purchased a rod and reel and a few of the basic necessities to be successful at catching fish back in February. We then planned to go fishing during spring break after I worked the first 3 days of the week and Lyndsay worked the first 4 days of the week. So Friday March 19th we got fishing licenses and headed out of town toward Troy Idaho to Spring Valley Reservoir. It was only a 20 min drive out of Moscow which is really convenient but Spring Valley Reservoir is a drop of water compared to Lucky Peak. It wasn't to busy for a Friday morning but did have to hike around to a spot that was less inhabited as most people stake out the docks near the entrance first. After setting up camp I prepped the rod and reel and a out fitted it with a bobber and was going to try our luck with the classic hook and salmon eggs. I gave Lyndsay a great demonstration of what not to do, after I casted out I noticed the bobber floating away from my line and I realized that it had become an agent unto itself (although short lived it was recovered after it was blown back to shore.) as the wind and ripples carried it away. It was a great day for fishing though, sunny, no rain, and not to chilly. Since this was Lyndsay's first time "really" fishing I got to teach her how to cast (don't worry there were no mishaps here.) and she picked it up in a matter of minutes and she was off and going. And part of the learning experience was what the fish were biting on and what they weren't and we discovered that the fish here must not know what salmon eggs are because they weren't biting at all. So I then switched to a lure that I picked out and felt resembled my lucky lure from childhood and might have some luck with. After casting a few times with that I had a near catch and Lyndsay was shocked and excited that I had one so quickly. The hoot must not have been set well because this one got away as it was almost to shore and we saw it flip out of the water flip its back fin taunting us and slip of the hook and disappear back into the water. Then we didn't have anything else for awhile as we took turns on the one rod we have right now. Just as we were about to call it quits I casted a few more times and got bites every time. Then while Lyndsay was recording a video with the camera of me fishing and the heron the flew by I hooked one and the video speaks for it self. We caught one and we were planning on releasing him because it was only a 9 to 10 inch rainbow trout but I set the hook really well and after removing the hook started to bleed....profusely. I tried getting him back in the water to see if he was going to make it and he did swim slowly away but then went belly up. So then we had to keep him but getting the fish back out of the water was tricky because it would spontaneously come back to life and thrash and go further from shore. Then there were a few death throws that brought him closer to shore and I took off my shoes and rolled up my pants and waded out and grab it as it came back to life in my hands and I had to throw it to shore. And to make a long story short we BBQ'd the fish and at it. So it was a successful first fishing trip in a long time for me and fun and exciting for Lyndsay and now she is hooked and destined to become a hardcore fisher! Lyndsay enjoying the relaxation of fishing and being out doors and waiting patiently for a fish to bite.

This is Spring Valley Reservoir.Eric fishing


Eric baiting a hook and getting ready to cast out.

Video proof that this isn't just a big fish story although now I can't exaggerate how big the fish was.

Lyndsay showing off her pro fishing skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment